CMW Geosciences store all geotechnical data retrieved from our investigations on a single geographic information system (GIS) database. As well as making the collection and transfer of geotechnical data more efficient and secure within CMW Geosciences operations, the use of this system has numerous benefits to our clients, including:
- Fast transfer of data between the field, the office and the Client;
- Less amount of data re-input (only writing logs/inputting laboratory test data a single time) reduces the incidence of mistakes, and save money to our clients;
- Improved quality control of data from draft to final issue;
- GIS style data storage allows for all data to be displayed on a map interface (key words from soil description, laboratory tests etc) making it much easier to interrogate data against the derived ground model;
- Geotechnical data can quickly be presented on currently developed background maps (aerial photographs, shape files, standard mapping, civil engineering drawings).
- Geotechnical database is directly linked to drawing packages (AutoCAD Civil 3D) and spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel) to allow efficient interrogation, analysis and presentation of data.
CMW Geosciences are also registered users of the Association of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Specialists (AGS) data format. The AGS format provides a standard data format for the transfer of geotechnical data between interested parties, such as clients, specialist geotechnical contractors, consultants and laboratories. By establishing a standard data format for the transfer of geotechnical data, significant cost savings can be made on projects. We are able to provide advice to clients on the use of AGS data, and can provide AGS data for all projects carried out by the company.